GPSG established the Travel Grant program to provide financial assistance and recognition to graduate and professional students who are participating in academic conferences. Applicants must currently be enrolled as a graduate or professional student at the University of Pittsburgh.
Students are eligible for one GPSG travel grant per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) based on the date of the conference. All applications must be submitted and approved by the Finance Committee, and funds for each cycle are distributed based on a demonstrated need for the travel grant and on the merit of the presentation. Students must be presenting at conferences. Applications for students who are attending, but not presenting will not be accepted.
Forms You’ll Need
GPSG Travel Grant ApplicationComplete this fully after attending your conference, during the first ten days of the next month (if your conference is in the first ten days of the month, you can apply during the first ten days of that month or the first ten days of the next month, but NOT both. (see Step 1 and timeline for submitting below). PLEASE SAVE THE FORM AND EMAIL AS AN ATTACHMENT TO firstname.lastname@example.orgTBExpenseFormFollowing the conference, and if you you are awarded a travel grant, fill out and submit the Travel and Business (T&B) Expense form within 30 days of notification of your award. Follow the directions below (see step two) for infomation on how to fill out this form. A quick guide to completing this form can be found here: HOWTO – Travel Grant Reimbursement
Step 1: Submit Application to GPSG
Students are eligible for one GPSG travel grant per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) based on the date of the conference. Funds for each cycle are distributed based on a demonstrated need for the travel grant.
Only travel to conferences for a student organization’s national conference or an academic conference are eligible for grants. No travel grants will be awarded if the trip is required for a course or for professional development.
An applicant attending an event in Allegheny County is eligible only to receive reimbursement for registration.
Remember to include proof of participation in the conference as noted on the application. These documents must demonstrate that the conference is academic or professional in nature and that you are presenting at the conference. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please be advised that GPSG travel grants can only be used for lodging, transportation, and conference-specific expenses only. There will be noreimbursement given for expenses such as food, beverages, souvenirs, Per Diem, etc.
Supplemental Documentation Needed for Application:
- Proof of Participation
You must submit proof that your work has been accepted at the conference and that you have registered.
- Advisor Letter
Please obtain a letter from your advisor stating:
- their acknowledgement for this travel award application
- that they have reviewed the application
- the need for this travel award for you
- Documentation of Expenses
Present receipts for the following if you are claiming them:
- Flying/Bus/Train — Your receipt.
- Car — Documentation should include estimated mileage between source and destination (such as from MapQuest or Google Maps). If you are renting a car, submit your receipt.
Please email supplemental documentation to email@example.com or send it to our office at 825 William Pitt Union.
Timeline for Submitting Travel Grants (for any given year)
Travel Grant Application Schedule
|Conference Occurs During||Submit Application Between|
Step 2: Submit a Travel and Business form
- Do NOT turn this form in with your application. Turn this form in AFTER you are informed whether or not you have been awarded a GPSG Travel Grant
- Include original receipts, affixed to the front of one or more 8.5×11 sheets of paper with tape, no staples. T&B’s turned in with copies of receipts and/or stapled receipts cannot be accepted.
- Submit all reimbursement paperwork to the SORC office (833 WPU) within 30 days of notification of your award. SORC is only open Monday – Friday between 8:30am and 5:30pm. GPSG retains the authority to redistribute or withhold funding from any student not meeting this requirement.
- If you are receiving funding from more than one organization or department within the University of Pittsburgh, you should use only one T&B form and receipts. This T&B will be sent from department to department for approval. You must inform GPSG as soon as you know that multiple sources will be providing funding for your travel.
- GPSG strongly prefers to receive students’ T&B’s with multiple department accounts after all other contributing university organizations/departments have signed it.
The T&B form can be found here: TBExpenseForm
A complete How-To on completing the T&B Expense Form can be found here: HOWTO – Travel Grant Reimbursement
Attention A&S GSO recipients: If you are also applying for A&S GSO or A&S PBC travel grants, you MUST include a copy of the GPSG Travel Grant approval e-mail with your T&B submission to A&S so that they are aware you are receiving additional funding from GPSG. Failure to do so may result in your NOT being reimbursed for GPSG approved funding.
The reimbursement form must be delivered to the SORC office at 833 William Pitt Union.